Chikungunya is a destructive fever transmitted by mosquitoes. The Aedes Aegytpi mosquito is said to be the culprit of this viral fever. There have been mass occurrences of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) in recent times. The symptoms of this viral fever are like that of dengue fever. It is a virus originating from Africa and Asia.
– People who get Chikungunya fever develop a very high fever, which can touch up to 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
– There is incapacitating pain in the joints, feet, wrists, knuckles etc. This pain may last for several days, weeks or even months.
– Chikungunya fever causes muscle pain.
How does Chikungunya spread?
Infected Aedes Aegytpi mosquitoes spread Chikungunya when they bite human beings. These mosquitoes get infected when they bite other animals, especially monkeys, having this virus. Monkeys are widely found to have this virus in their bodies.
Chikungunya fever does not have established treatments. Though Chikungunya may be highly debilitating, it is not known to cause deaths or fatalities like dengue fever.
An effective vaccine has still not been developed to treat Chikungunya patients.
A doctor may treat Chikungunya patients by prescribing medication to relieve symptoms of fever, along with painkillers.
Patients are advised to take adequate rest, and staying away from mosquito infected places.
How to prevent Chikungunya?
– Stay away from mosquitoes. Try to shut your doors and windows in the late evenings. Late evening is a time when mosquitoes tend to get into the house. Though, the Aedes Aegytpi mosquito is a day-time biter, it might still get into the house during the evenings.
– When you are holidaying in regions like tropical forests, or swampy areas, try to wear clothing that covers maximum surface area of your body. By doing this, you reduce the area of exposure of your body to mosquito bites.
– If there are areas holding stagnant water in and around your home, take action immediately, to remove it. Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water.
– Use mosquito repellents that have DEET composition.
All of the above-mentioned actions will definitely provide maximum protection for you against mosquito bites. Remember, to fight Chikungunya you just need to keep away mosquitoes.